Saturday, March 3, 2012

February Blahs Recap


It hasn't happened to me in years, but this year the Winter Blues hit me HARD! The inability to get up in the morning, no motivation to do anything, feeling generally crappy, you name the symptom I seemed to have it. Obviously it has affected my running & exercise as well as my family life. My house is a mess, we hardly did anything other than hockey tournaments for family time and I missed more runs then I'd care to admit. Thankfully I'm starting to come around, and will hopefully be back to my old self in a few weeks. This week I was able to get up for an early run not once but twice! I've also joined the new Women's Fitness Centre that is opening up in June. Snap is good, but it has no classes therefore no motivation for me to go. Boo Snap. Why can't you have classes? You would have been perfect.......

It took me 29 days but I got my New To You Cross Training Challenge completed. This month I had planned on doing the Xbox Zumba Fitness but I couldn't find it to rent anywhere. If I'm spending $50 on fitness it's gonna be on a cute new pair of Lulu shorts, not a video game that my kids will make fun of me for! On February 28 I stumbled upon a huge list of interval workouts on Tina Reale's site. I selected the 'I Want it All' interval workout and worked my ass off for 20 minutes!
EXERCISECIRCUIT 1CIRCUIT 2CIRCUIT 3
jumping jacks30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
burpees30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
push-ups30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
180 Squat Jumps30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
Jump Lunges30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
triceps dips30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
Leapfrogs30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
Side Shuffle30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
Bear Crawl30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
Up/Down Plank30 seconds40 secondsas long as you can last…at least 30 sec!
REST2 minutes3 minutesDONE!!!!
Thankfully she had links to instruction on how to do some of these so once I figured them all out I set my HIIT timer app on my phone and got down to business! For some reason my dog went ape sh*t whenever I did the side shuffle's so it made things a little interesting. I'm totally doing this again! I worked hard, built up a sweat and actually felt it the next day! Right on Tina!

I've always used Sport Beans as energy for my long runs. They were recommended to me by my friend Sarah as what she uses, ages ago. Recently I went on a long run with my friend Tess - my first time running with a friend EVER. (I have very few real life running friends boo hoo.) Tess uses Gu Gel and suggested buying my fuel at Mountain Equipment Co-op. So off I went to MEC to see what they had. Well! They had way more selection than the Running Room so I  bought a lot of different items to see which I would like the best. After the girl sold me my $5 membership of course. "What do I get for my $5?" I asked. "You get to shop here" was her reply. Ok! Sign me up!
So last Friday I took a GU Gel out with me for my long run. I was so excited!! I ripped it open and squeezed a big blob into my mouth and abruptly spit it out about 10 seconds later after gagging. WTF?! Fanch Nancy said this stuff tasted like frosting so that's what I expected. What a shock this was. After realizing I was going to need to squeeze little bits into my mouth and wash it down with my drink things went a little better. I'll give it another go, but may just be going back to the Sport Beans. Free gels anyone?

MONTH IN REVIEW

Total distance ran: 112km/127km
Times ran 15/17
Spin 0/4
New Races Signed up for: 1 Toronto Women's Half. I saw that it was almost sold out so I jumped just so that I could have that damned necklace!
Extra Money Saved $0 - batting 1000 here.
Times at Church 0/4 - eek
Given up for Lent: Chocolate. Oh how I miss my chocolate. It does help me thank Jesus daily though, which is the reason that I give it up.
Hockey Tournaments attended 3/3 won 1/3
Stolen pictures from the photographers website 1/1

5 comments:

  1. That's quite a workout - I am just starting to get back to bootcamp/interval training and strength. Gotta get strong.

    I love hockey - played for Burlington for 8 years and in college with the boys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killer workout!! I love watching hockey in person...it's hard/stressful for me on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali, you played for the Barracudas? Have they been around that long? My son has played for the Bulldogs and Eagles (city rep) both. I love rep hockey! :)

    I'm a HUGE hockey fan. It kills my husband and I that our younger son never took to it, and with our oldest in Midget right now our time at the arenas will soon be over. *Sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing with a ClifShot gel yesterday, wasn't expecting the sweetness, I think it took me almost a mile to choke it down, it seemed to help, but don't know about these thick "gels" that are close to frosting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Gu Gels! I also like the shot blocks too. I have to stock up for this Sunday. I love your count-down especially photos stollen from sites. HA!

    ReplyDelete