Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Water, water & Yonge St 10K

So I've realized in the last 10 minutes that I am so not cool anymore. On Thursday night at work I got a text from my hubby saying that my Lulu package had arrived. Considering the FedEx driver that always seems to deliver my Lulu packages is a total creeper I was happy for two reasons 1) that I didn't have to face him and 2) it meant that my new water belt had arrived! Yay! Getting home and ripping open that package was all I could think about all night! And then today, I opened up the mailbox to find that the water bottle that I had ordered from Simple Hydration had arrived! Double yay! I don't think I've been this excited since I was 17 and found someone to buy me beer! So now it would seem that party excitement and water bottle excitement are somehow on the same level. Oh well, I'm cool with it I guess. Just don't tell my sissy. She'll rip me to shreds.

I was able to take the Lulu belt out for a 21k run (my final loooooong run before the Mississauga Half on May 6) on Friday afternoon.

Nuun, Nuun, Water Check!

Excuse the obvious work that we've recently had done.


My son had a hockey tournament all weekend long (Alliance Championships...they were eliminated in the semis...BOO!) but thankfully I was able to get out between games on Friday.

Kicking ass and taking names!

This wasn't the best run in the world for me, and to be honest I was nervous about it. The stomach flu had been making the rounds in my house last week and Friday I wasn't feeling 100% in the tummy area. Actually, I was feeling 'alright' until I took a GU around the halfway mark, THEN I really started to feel sick. Probably up until the final km I thought that I was going to vomit, but yay for me I was able to choke it down and finish strong. I'm pretty sure that I also sweat out whatever was getting ready to plague me because I was fine after that. Had I have had the time to actually eat something of substance after my run I probs would have indulged in the parental tailgate out in the parking lot before the second game! LOL Any way, the water belt was AWESOME! I'm a big drinker when I run so I probably could have used a fourth bottle, but I really liked the fact that I was able to carry one bottle of plain water and two with Nuun. Love my Nuun. And being able to stick my phone in the little pouch was great! I truly hate the arm band that I have to carry it in if I'm pocketless, so I plan on using this belt a lot, even if it's just for carrying my phone in.

The fact that I'm a big drinker is the reason that I purchased the Simple Hydration bottle. I first learned about this bottle from Tidbits of Tara . If you don't know her I suggest you check her out. She's funny as hell and her story is very inspirational. To me any way. Tara had a giveaway for the Simple Hydration bottle and even though I didn't win (BOO!) I still really wanted this bottle. It's pretty pricey, but hopefully worth it. It is designed to fit into the waistband of your pants or running belt, and from all of the reviews that I've read on it, you really don't even feel it there. You can also carry it comfortably in your hand, or so I've read.....

I posted this photo on FB only to have a million people (ok not a million) make dirty comments on it. I honestly never realized that it looked like a penis! LMAO

Obviously you don't wear the bottle in your jeans, but I didn't have a run planned today while I'm resting my Achilles tendon. Boy that really flattens out your bum though!! Even Gordie can't believe it!

Holy crap this mirror is dirty!
 I hate carrying anything in my hand while I'm running, but I don't always want the hassle of a belt on shorter runs so I think that this bottle should (hopefully) be perfect. I can't wait to try it out! Hopefully it will work for the Toronto Yonge St 10K on Sunday! Water stations at races are ass and I always spill all down myself so I'd rather just have my own.

Speaking of the Yonge St 10K I am SO EXCITED for this race! I haven't been in a real race since the Trek or Treat trail race in October! Sure I've participated in countless virtual races, but obvs they're not the same. I am pretty nervous though, simply because there are so many participants (15,000) and I'm not sure of the area so I don't know where to park, meet my fams, etc. We'll probably check out the area on Saturday when I pick up my race kit, and then I'll feel a whole lot better. I did have a brain fart when I gave them an estimated finishing time. I know for sure that I can easily keep a 5:50/km pace for 10k and 5:50 x 10 = 55 minutes right?! LMAO Ok, so now I have to work my ass off and keep a steady 5:30 pace to make my goal. Because I've put 55min out there, in my mind that's where I have to come in around. Oh Sam! My plan is to stick around the back of my corral and ask about until I find someone else with a 55 min goal and use them to pace myself. Hopefully it works..... Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! Remember - it is all 100% downhill so you'll be faster then you think. Can't wait to read the report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about the simply hydration bottle too - I usually use a Nathan hand-strap bottle. I'll be interested to see if you like it. Good luck at your 10K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your 10k and that water bottle is sooooo cool!!!!!

    I need a hydration belt. I really need to look into getting one. I miss playing hockey ;)

    ReplyDelete