Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Let's do this!

Here we are January 2nd, and I'm sitting here with my post tib flared up and a different spring race plan. It turns out that Derek's cousin is getting married in Ottawa the first weekend of May, which happens to be the same weekend as the Mississauga Marathon. Seeing as this cousin was one of the handful of people who attended our wedding, missing it is not an option. As soon as I realized the conflict I scoured the internet and found a few spring marathon options; Waterloo marathon, Whitby marathon, Glass City marathon & Ottawa marathon. I didn't read very many (any) favourable reviews of Waterloo so that was out. Whitby seems to be a double loop so while doable it wasn't high on my list of things that I wanted to do. Convincing Derek to go to Toledo Ohio for Glass City didn't seem like it was going to be easy so that was taken off the list which left Ottawa. Unfortunately Ottawa is the same weekend as Sulphur Springs but Nicole was happy to take my place and run with Emma so even though I run the risk of running a marathon in hot weather (Sam & hot temps don't go hand in hand) this is my best option. Another plus is that a lot of Daily Mile friends seem to be going out to run as well, including Cam who is running his first marathon at Ottawa and may be willing to run with me. If not I'll have to find a pacer and stick to them, either way I'm registered and have a hotel room reserved so Ottawa, I'm coming for ya! Unfortunately Mississauga has a strict non transfer rule so I'm out the fee that I already paid for that marathon which kind of bothers me and I let them know this quite politely. Come on, Toronto Goodlife lets you transfer the registration. Boo Mississauga!

In other news my posterior tibial tendon is making itself known again and my usual physio guy is not around until next week so I booked an appointment to see a sports medicine dr this morning who has some pretty nice credentials. Hey, if he's good enough for the Toronto Rock, Hamilton Ti-Cats & McMaster Marauders I think that he's good enough for me. Although he is unsure of why it's flaring up now he feels that my problems lay with the fact that I can't even walk without wobbling so I need to focus on strengthening things up in my ankles. He gave me a couple of exercises that I need to do religiously and go back to see him in a month. Worst case I'll need to wear an ankle brace when I run, but because it doesn't bother me while I'm running, only later, I'm allowed to keep at it. He says that he sees no reason why this should hold me back from running Ottawa. I'm a little worried that it may affect my speed which will obviously make running a 1:45 at Chilly quite difficult but I'll try to focus on the positive here and that's the fact that I'm allowed to run. Of course today it is snowing with a temp of -28* so maybe I'll take an extra rest day before I rush back at it.

Happy New Year my friends. May 2014 be kind to us all!

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are still planning on the spring marathon! Ottawa is a good choice I think, a very popular race. Hope the injury clears up for you. Write the alphabet with your foot. Good exercise to help strengthen the ankles. Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ottawa is going to be fun! (I hope, I'm a bit scared).

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Plans. Not the best plans of course, but I'm glad you've settled on the Spring. Maybe we'll just have to run a fall marathon together...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ottawa looks like a great race, although we'll miss you at Mississauga! Now get that injury cleared up, we have a lot of training to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, I've done the Waterloo 1/2 marathon twice now, and my husband the full once. We love the course. It's a challenging one, given that you're running on rolling hills in the countryside, but it's got bagpipers on the course, indoor pre-race facilities, and hardly any runners (about 100 in the full marathon). You also get a handcrafted clay finisher's medal. I highly recommend the race for you for another year. It's also well timed after the Around the Bay if you fit that into your training plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering why you had to pull out of Mississauga. Ottawa is actually a superior alternative anyways.

    I hope your ankle feels better. Even if you don't break the speed record at Chilly, you'll have other opportunities in 2014!

    You got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you've got the flareup under control! I hate when bib transfers aren't allowed too. But they will definitely appreciate your presence at the wedding, so it's 100% worth it!

    ReplyDelete